We are committed to the security of our customers’ data, and offer a wide range of safeguards to help protect your personal information.
Below are a number of tips to help you keep your financial and personal information safe.
Protect Your Personal Data
- Confetti shred documents that contain personal data.
- Remove yourself from junk mail lists.
- Purchase a locking mailbox.
- Always question when asked for your social security number. It is usually NOT necessary.
- Use the EMV chip feature on your Washington Trust credit or debit card during transactions.
- Verify that we have your most up-to-date Contact Information on file, so we can verify any suspicious charges.
- If you haven't received your EMV chip card yet, you don't have to wait for your old card to expire. Come to a branch to get your new card.
Protect Your Credit Rating
- Get your free credit report each year from all 3 major reporting agencies at annualcreditreport.com.
- Review your credit report at least twice a year and immediately correct any mistakes in writing.
- Always read credit card statements and question small charges. Large-scale identity thieves steal hundreds of thousands of credit card numbers and bill each card a very small amount (under $1) each month.
Protect Your Personal Computer
- Make sure your home PC is password protected and contains active, up-to-date virus protection.
- Disconnect your computer from the Internet when not in use.
- Secure your home Wi-Fi system by installing the optional security tools and settings such as password protection.
- Never put any mail containing a check or personal identifying information in a non-locking mailbox.
- Never answer emails requesting your personal information such as Social Security Number or account numbers.
- Never give personal information over the phone unless you initiated the call.
Suspend your card or report it lost or stolen from within the WTB Mobile app.